Chinook Books for Babies
Books for Babies is a unique partnership between community literacy organizations, Alberta Health Services, and Chinook Arch Regional Library System and its member libraries, to provide every newborn baby in the region with a baby-friendly reading kit. The kit includes a delightful bookbag containing suitable books to share with your child, a few tips to help make reading a pleasurable activity for the whole family, and suggestions on some good books to share with your baby.
What are the Benefits?
The benefits of a family literacy program like Books for Babies are many! Here are just a few:
- Families are shown how to make reading a pleasurable and valued activity.
- Reading together nurtures and helps strengthen parent-child bonds.
- Reading together encourages a positive attitude toward life-long learning.
- Some parents who need to increase their literacy skills may seek help in adult literacy programs for the sake of their children.
- Provides fun for the entire family.
Books to Share With Your Baby
- Big Fat Hen, by Keith Baker
- ABC of Canada, by Kim Bellefontaine
- Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle
- The New Baby Calf, by Edith Newlin Chase
- Where is Baby's Belly Button?, by Karen Katz
- I Kissed the Baby!, by Mary Murphy
- Guess How Much I Love You, by Sam McBratney
- If You Were My Bunny, by Kate McMullen
- Sing a Song of Mother Goose, by Barbara Reid
- Red is Best, by Kathy Stinson
- Happy Hippo, Angry Duck, by Sandra Boynton
- Hello, Baby!, by Mem Fox
Support Chinook Books for Babies
We rely on donations and grants to continue our work. All new parents in the region receive a book bag kit at no cost. For some families these are the only books the children have at home. If you are able to help us continue this worthwhile pgoram and would like to make a financial donation, please click here.
Thank You to our Partners and Supporters:
- Participating Community Literacy Organizations and their supporters
- Alberta Health Services
- Chinook Arch Regional Library System & participating libraries
- Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission